Saturday, May 14, 2011

Girth 「メタボ」

I've often heard that about fifty percent of Americans are overweight.  Perhaps you think, "Oh, it really doesn't seem that bad."

You want a shock?  Go live in Japan for a few years, then come back to the United States.

People in Japan are fit.  And I don't just mean moderately well-shaped.  I mean FIT.  That's not to say that there are no overweight people in Japan—I did see quite a few heavy people—but concave abdomens were much more the exception than the rule.

And I don't mean that people were unhealthily skinny, either.

I was a high school teacher, and almost all of the boys had pecs and six-pack abs.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like I went around looking at my students, but when kids change for gym in the classrooms and have swimming classes and sports days and school festivals and what not, and when you're assistant coach of a track and field club, you see the occasional bare chest.  And they were in shape.  Even the kids in the art club and the computer club had muscles that most American high schoolers would kill for.

Now, why are they in such great shape?  The sports clubs certainly have something to do with it: clubs in Japan are serious business.  But that doesn't explain the computer club kids.  Well, as far as I can tell, it's simply diet and exercise.  Food is generally healthy and portions are small.  92% of kids at one of my high schools came to school by bike, and I'm sure that other schools post similar numbers.  Gym class in Japan is serious business.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering, it's not just something that can be passed off as Japanese genetics, either.  Take me as the example, if you will.  I graduated from college struggling to keep my weight from rising above 169 pounds (76kg).  After seven years in Japan, I weigh 142 pounds (64kg) with eleven percent body fat, and can run a 5k road race in under 20 minutes.  Now, of course, I have to try to keep it that way.  I'm not optimistic.

So, you want a good dieting tip? Live in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment